All beards are at risk of growing a dry and itchy patch of hair that feels like steel wool. So it takes some special attention into encouraging healthy growth, resulting in softer strong hair from the get-go.
Aside from the occasional trim a good beard oil / balm is all you need to keep your whiskers smooth, soft and scratch free. That said, there are lots of options for you to choose from but, unless you are a formulator or carry a book on essential oils choosing the right product can be difficult.
So what makes a beard oil or beard balm good besides a spell binding scent that lasts throughout the day? Raw Ingredients!
Beard oils and balms are generally based on a few ingredients, carrier oils, butters, wax and essential oils, all of which are rich in nutrients and readily absorbed by both hair and skin.
What do you need to look for when selecting a product that is right for you? Well that depends on your ultimate goal. Here are some of the issues we were asked to address when formulating our products:
After much research and experimentation, here are our "STAR" ingredients and why we chose to use them.
* Sweet almond oil is loaded with vitamins A, B, E and K. These vitamins can help revitalize your skin, clean up acne and even help prevent further breakouts. Incredibly light and easily absorbed by our skin where it can work to reduce wrinkles and keep our skin cells healthier longer, delaying signs of aging, and relieves itching.
* Sweet almond oil's moisturizing properties can also help with skin rashes and irritation. It's been used as a treatment for some dermatological conditions (eczema and psoriasis) so it can definitely help sooth minor rashes or shaving irritation.
* Nothing comes close to argan oil for beards. The oil is rich with antioxidants, vitamin E, vitamin A, Omega-6 fatty acids and linoleic acid.,
*The oil is proven to make hair thicker, softer and shinier. Argan tends to repair split ends and manages dry frizzy hair well, which makes it a perfect hair conditioner not to mention it helps prevent dandruff.
*The key to all the benefits this oil offers is Vitamin E, which is present in Argan oil in very substantial quantities. Men across the globe swear by this oil for relieving itch and balancing the skins moisture which promotes healing such as acne related problems.
*This antioxidant-rich oil is uniquely lightweight, so normal and dry skin almost immediately soak it up without greasy residue.
* An excellent ingredient for restoring shine to hair without weighing it down. Baobab’s vitamin A and essential fatty acids (linoleic and alpha-linoleic) renew skin cells to restore vibrancy, and vitamin E acts as a stellar antioxidant.
* Contains omega-3, -6, and -9 fatty acids, which restore moisture to severely dry skin and reduce eczema and psoriasis.
*The ancient Chinese used Camellia for hair treatment, so it has a proven track record. The oil is an intense moisturizer with high amounts of fatty acids and lipids. Camellia oil protects the skin against the abuse of external environmental elements,
* It is easily absorbed by the skin, leaving it silky smooth without the greasy feeling, making it one of the best kept secrets in the cosmetic and hair care industry. For centuries its been used for strengthening and conditioning the hair.*The rich supply of oils can coat your hair strands and moisturize your scalp, helping to eliminate dandruff and prevent breakage and split ends, not to mention promoting wound healing properties
*All-natural vegetable wax extracted from the Candelilla plant is a natural thickener with advanced protective properties.
* Candelilla wax is rich in nutrients and easily absorbed into hair while creating an instant barrier to prevent moisture loss.
*One of the biggest benefits that come with using cold pressed castor oil is that it stimulated blood flow to the scalp and to the skin. Good blood circulation is crucial for healthy hair and beard follicles, which produce that thick lumberjack beard you are looking for.
* This stuff is known to cause your hair follicles to produce much thicker hair and has been scientifically proven to create thicker hair growth in both animals and humans.
* Castor oil has germicidal, anti fungal, and insecticidal properties which combat microbial and fungal infections, two of the main leading causes of hair loss.
*Hemp Seed Oil is made up of 80% essential fatty acid, the highest amount of any other plant.. It contains the ideal ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 based on our cells needs. Hemp Seed Oil so closely matches our own skin's lipids that it's able to penetrate inside our cells and lubricate the surface between them, allowing the EFA's to enter our body.
*Hemp Seed Oil has high moisturizing properties which nourish not just the beard and facial hair, but also the skin and scalp. Being high in Vitamin E makes it a great natural hair conditioner. As you rub it into your skin it increases blood circulation and it penetrates into the hair shaft. It also helps prevent water loss and keeps more moisture in the beard, hair and skin thus stimulating Keratin production which gives thicker, stronger, and healthier hair.
*Known as the wonder oil known for curing itchiness, inflammation, eczema and acne. It will not clog your pores as it has a comedogenic rating of zero.
*Kokum butter is very rich in essential fatty acids and non-comedogenic (meaning, it won’t clog your pores). It’s a fantastic addition to beard Balm because it supports and truly enhances hair elasticity, which helps to ward off breakage in your facial beard. One of the most balanced, of all the botanicals
* Ideal moisturizer for soothing inflamed skin, improved barrier for natural hydration. provides a supple skin feel nurtures damaged skin.
* This light natural oil is used today in all high quality skin preparations due to its ability to quickly penetrate the skin. For centuries Hawaiians have used Kukui Nut oil to protect skin from salt water, harsh sun and drying winds. It is excellent for dry skin, psoriasis, eczema or any severe skin condition.
* A popular traditional use of Kukui nut oil is to apply it to the hair. The linoleic and linolenic fatty acids found in this oil are able to coat the hair, delivering key nutrients, that coat the skin and lock in moisture, thus preventing dry skin and dandruff that inevitably follows. This moisturizing quality of the oil also help to keep the hair follicles healthy and functioning, which can help prevent premature hair loss and breakage.
*Jojoba oil is one of the best carrier oils because it doesn't have a greasy texture or go rancid. Many lotions and creams use Jojoba because of the strong conditioning properties. It unblocks pores and has a mild aroma. Plus Jojoba is non-allergenic.
*You will notice tremendous beard growth with this natural waxy oil derived from Jojoba plant by stimulating the hair follicles, keeping the skin supple and your beard hair soft and manageable.
*Jojoba oil is very similar in texture and properties to the sebum secreted by the human skin.
*An exotic oil abundant in essential fatty acids, the butter is rich in antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it the ideal moisturizer for tropical climes. It moisturizes without clogging pores, and encourages cell regeneration thereby adding a youthful appearance to your skin
* This butter has a glide factor making products easy to spread allowing it to absorb into the skin quickly.
*Essential fatty acids contribute towards maintaining a healthy skin and soft natural hair.
*Rosehip Seed Oil is one of the premier carrier oils. Last counting there were at least 50 benefits for the skin, hair, body and mind. The benefits of this oil are too many to name which is why we chose just a few that relate only to beards.
*Being rich in collage and vitamins, it removes the dead skin restoring the elasticity back to the skin while softening and promoting rejuvenating properties such as anti-aging and flakey dry skin.
*The lightweight non greasy oil has the following benefits: helps to treat premature greying and hair loss, promotes hair growth, split ends, reduce scars, prevents dandruff, combats blackheads, and reduces sun damage.
*Shea butter is a powerhouse with impressive emolliating (softening) qualities. Rich in vitamins A, E and F it provides the skin with essential fatty acids and the nutrients necessary for collagen production. This makes it an excellent choice for locking in moisture without leaving your facial hair greasy and heavy.
*Benefits of Shea: Helps repair hair breakage, Skin protector against weather damage cold & heat, Seals in moisture and has anti-aging properties , anti-inflammatory qualities helping to reduce itchiness and rashes, can help with beard-druff, eczema or dermatitis.
Vitamin E is extremely popular because of the vast number of benefits to beard hair. It promotes beard hair growth, increases shine, antioxidant, moisturizing to both skin and beard hair, helps repair split ends, prevents premature graying, anti-aging, and much more.
Provide Fragrance as well as nourishing qualities for improving and enhancing the skin and beard.
Back to Products